Header

Header

Wednesday, 3 June 2015

Euro-derp - May 2015

I was recently in North-West Germany for a wedding, and was fortunate enough to be tipped off about this place, which turned out to be a ten minutes from where I was staying. I had some spare time one morning, so had a mooch about for an hour, although in the end I needed more time. Always next time for when I'm back in the area though.


Visited solo. Thanks to the raw for the suggestion, and my host for a great stay.



I don't normally go with the whole code-naming stuff, but given the European convention, I'll respect that. The site itself was pretty mint, consistency of four buildings, although I only made it into the main two, which were the glorious original building, and the attached accommodation building. There was also a more resort-style building and perhaps another accommodation building, which had a cross on it. 

 

History borrowed from someone else's report:


Maison A is a villa in a city in the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia. It has been classified as a heritage building by the local authority for monument protection.
The two-story building lies hidden within a small park made up of beeches and chestnut trees. A fountain is located in the outer area. The building was constructed in the style of historism with elements of the neo-renaissance style and is a typical example of a country house in the second half of the 19th century.


The ashlar front is dominated by a hexagonal tower which originally has a lantern on its top.
The entrance portal is framed by large pillars. Inside the building lies the two-story skylight hall with a gallery and a wrought-iron handrail. The building has been decorated in a very prestigious style - marble columns, opulent stuccoed ornaments, beautiful carvings and wooden wainscotings can be found.
Also noteworthy is the fully preserved original dining room with its wooden walls, the corresponding serving cabinet and a wooden coffered ceiling.
Two architects from Berlin built the mansion around 1880. In the 1970s, demolition was imminent, but the building was placed under monument protection and finally saved by a private investor.
From the 1980s until the 1990s, the villa was used as a care facility. Until circa 2010, the building was used as a retirement home by a church organisation.


If anything says I need a wide-angle and better photographic skills (excuse the white balance, I'm colourblind), it's this set of photos. The first group above are of the main hall in what I assume was a function or entertainment building given the piano and organ. Amazing joinery in there, and gloriously lit. 




Upstairs there was some old equipment left over from the care home facility that the site spent its last portion of its life as.



No old people's home is complete without a little boat toy...




  


My time was quite limited, so I left the main hall, and went wandering downwards, and found the basement. I've looked at a few reports of this place online now, but haven't seen any photos outside of the main hall, so this was new to me. 




The basement was mainly showers and remnants of kitchen I think. 








A side room back upstairs contained a lot of old patient records and other bits of information. If in England there would be a local news story on this no doubt. 



After making my way out of the basement, I followed this windowed corridor to the second building, which appeared to be the accommodation block. 







This bit was probably four stories, all very samey, many doors with the last occupant's names on. 



There was also a basement in this building, although my time was pretty much up so only took a couple of photos. 



Some old football stickers on a basement door, including...



With that I was out of time and had to make my way out. 

As the sign below said, thank you for your visit.



HerrJonnySchwanzkopf

No comments:

Post a Comment